Tuesday, 11 October 2016

Deconstructions Review

I wanted to deconstruct magazines, websites and billboards so I could get inspiration for my own magazines, and see from real life examples, what conventions work well.

From looking at three international magazines, Cosmopolitan, Vogue, Elle, I found that all follow a really strict house theme throughout each magazine. For example, Vogue uses the same style masthead on every page, which creates synergy. This is a convention I wish to use for all of my products, as I want them to look as professional as these magazines, even though my products are region based. All magazines used a dominant cover image, of a celebrity using a close up shot. Even though my magazine is for the North East, I still want to use celebrity endorsement- even if the 'celebrity' is only well known in the North.

From the websites, I found that all used a very low toned colour scheme for the conventional parts of the page (navigation bar, title, etc), I think this is so the images of the stories don't clash with a specific theme. I like how their websites look very professional, however I think I want to add colour to mine.

The billboards I deconstructed were Gucci, Burberry, and Michael Kors. From every billboard, I found the use of one main image and small amount of text, I will keep this in mind when designing my final billboard.

Deconstructing has helped me gather inspiration as I was really looking at the fine details of each product. It will also help me when deciding what conventions to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment