I have learned about model poses on a magazine front cover, and the effect they have on the audience. This has given me an enhanced understanding of them and has given me ideas of how I want my model to pose for my front cover. I also understand that the different poses can have several connotations which can then fit specific genres of magazine.
Trevor Millum: Male Poses
I decided to do some independent research and have a look at different male poses. I found some work by Trevor Millum, who studied various advertisements featuring males, within women's magazines. He found five variations of poses:
- Carefree: within the carefree pose, the models appeared healthy and active looking, and also looked happy as they were normally smiling
- Practical: the practical pose embraced a serious, engaged look, in which the models had their mouths closed and often maintained a small frown in order to portray a look of concentration
- Seductive: the seductive pose portrayed confidence, with a slight smile and eyes that were never quite fully open
- Comic: these poses were centralised around humour and were obviously deliberately funny and slightly exaggerated.
- Catalogue: within the catalogue pose, the model was vacant looking, with an artificial appearance, blank expression portraying elements of emptiness and lack of personality.
As the model I am planning is female, I have taker a larger focus on the female area of model poses, but I found it important to consider both sexes within model poses.
No comments:
Post a Comment